Wells County Public Library
Library Board of Trustees Meeting
200 West Washington Street
Bluffton, Indiana 46714
Tuesday, September 14, 2021
Present: Brown, Eicher, Johnson, MacNeill, Tabor
Absent: Gentis, Smith, Stauffer
1. Call to Order: Acting President Dustin Brown called the meeting to order at 6:31 PM
2. Public Hearing on 2022 Budget: No Input
3. Public Input: None
4. Consent Agenda: Tabor moved to accept the consent agenda. Johnson seconded the motion, which passed. The following items were approved and adopted:
a. August 10, 2021 Board Meeting Minutes
b. Librarian’s Report
c. Treasurer’s Report
d. August 2021 Register of Claims
5. September 1-14 Register of Claims: Tabor moved to accept the register of claims, which totaled $250,272.96. Johnson seconded the motion, which passed.
6. Correspondence: None
7. Staff Report – Children’s Book Festival: Stefanie Kipfer provided a report on the planning, activities, and funding for the children’s book festival and requested that the board take every opportunity to talk the festival up and consider volunteering to help.
8. Committee Reports:
⦁ Ossian Restroom remodel has been completed
⦁ HVAC update for the West end of the main building has been completed
⦁ LIT estimate has been received, is lower than last year
⦁ Budget is fully funded despite reduction
c. Policy, By-Laws, and Insurance
⦁ Internal Control Policy was reviewed, no changes proposed
⦁ Disaster Recovery Plan was reviewed, Tabor moved that the plan be accepted, motion was seconded by Brown, and the motion passed
d. Public Awareness/Outreach – Nothing
⦁ Board Calendar for 2021-22 was reviewed
⦁ 2021-22 Committee Assignments were reviewed
f. Director Evaluation – Nothing
9. Unfinished Business: The repair of the outside stairs at the Ossian Branch was discussed. Johnson moved that Jackson be given the request to make the repair when their schedule allowed next spring at Time and Material provided cost did not exceed the quoted $6,459.00. Motion was seconded by Tabor and passed.
10. Personnel Updates:
a. Brown moved that Kenlie Thomas be hired as a shelver for 12 hours per week at $7.25 per hour. Motion was seconded by Tabor and passed.
b. Brown moved that Cydney Lesh be hired as a Teen Services Clerk for 20 hours per week at $11.41 per hour. Motion was seconded by Tabor and passed.
11. New Business:
a. Tabor moved that the heat pump unit for the Parlor area be replaced at a cost of $13,610.00. The motion was seconded by Johnson and passed.
b. Johnson moved that Ossian HVAC units be put on a preventive maintenance program through Felger Hart at an annual cost of $1,420.00. Brown seconded the motion which passed.
c. Eicher moved that Kemper Flooring be hired to replace the treads on the original stairs at a cost of $2,412.42. Motion was seconded by Brown and passed.
d. Tabor moved that Koorsen by hired to replace the main library’s fire alarm system at a cost of $19,865.45. Johnson seconded the motion which passed.
e. Tabor moved that Yoder Tree Service be hired to remove a dying ash tree, remove stumps, and do dirt prep work for replanting at a cost of $1,824.00. Motion was seconded by Eicher and passed.
f. After amending resolution 21-08 Tabor moved that it be approved. The motion was seconded be Johnson and passed.
12. Director Updates: Library Closed: 5 pm September 20th-25th @ Bluffton for Street Fair September 22-23 closed @ Ossian
Community Meetings/Activities attended outside the library:
Bluffton NOW! Board Meeting
Chamber Board meeting
Chamber Executive Meeting
Wells County Foundation Grants Committee-did not meet
Wells County Foundation Board-not able to attend
Meeting Updates inside the library:
Department Head meeting – discussed Library IQ, in-service, shelf-reading/Street Fair schedule, NICHE academy set-up, final thoughts on going Fine Free, Word Wise: Social Sci/Sports/Study Aids
Current Projects/Big Programs/News:
-Children’s Book Festival – Save the date for October 9. If you have kids/grandkids come out for a fun time. We are always looking for volunteers for this program, if you are interested.
-After-Hour Pick-up – Once school starts, I will reach out to Southern Wells’ librarian to see if having pick-up lockers on site is something the school would be willing to work with us to complete.
-One Book One County – We have selected our OBOC title: “The Indigo Girl” by Natasha Boyd
We were awarded $5,400 dollars in ARPA funds to purchase video conferencing equipment. This equipment will allow for a better experience with blended meetings where half of the participants are in the room and the other half are virtual. The camera is high definition and there are microphone pods that can be spread throughout the room to better capture questions and conversation. We will be using this equipment in house for meetings and programs but will also allow other organizations to use the equipment for meetings in-house.
14. Next Meeting – Tuesday October 12, 2021 @ 6:30 at Bluffton – the 2022 Budget will be adopted at that meeting
15. Meeting was adjourned at 7:44 by Brown