MATERIAL SERVICES CLERK
Position Available (Part-Time)
A Material Services clerk works primarily in the Material Services Department of the library. The clerk is responsible for receiving new materials in an accurate and timely matter. In addition, this position includes two shifts at the circulation desk. Please see the job description below for a detailed list of responsibilities and education/experience requirements.
The base salary for a clerk begins at $10.44/hour for an individual with a high school diploma/equivalent. This base increases incrementally depending on your level of education. We are currently searching for someone to work approximately 20 hours/week, which includes one evening per week, plus an occasional Saturday (about once every 4-5 weeks).
Please complete the Application for Employment. Return your application along with a resume no later than Friday, October 16. Submit your application at the Main Library, Ossian Branch or email to:
Material Services Manager
Wells County Public Library
Material Services Clerk Job Description
Position: Material Services Clerk
Department: Material Services
Reports to: Material Services Manager
Classification: Part-time, non-exempt, 20 hours
Mission Statement: “The mission of Wells County Public Library is to provide communities it serves with access, knowledge, and growth supporting research, popular interests, and lifelong learning.”
Position Summary: To support the library mission by assisting the Material Services department with data entry, acquisitions, and interlibrary loan duties.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receive library materials utilizing the Acquisitions module in Workflows in a timely manner. Complete recordkeeping required to close out orders and control cataloging workflow.
- Work with administrative assistant on purchase order issues. Add new purchase order numbers as needed, including donation and standing order purchase order numbers.
- Barcode all incoming print material and add to Workflows for cataloging.
- Work with incoming and outgoing deliveries to ensure orders go to the correct place and invoices are correctly received and sent to the Accountant.
- Perform Interlibrary Loan duties as assigned by the Material Services Assistant.
- Perform circulation duties as scheduled or as needed, following the requirements for Circulation Services Clerk.
- Serve on library committees and attend relevant meetings.
- Perform any other related duties as assigned to ensure efficiency of library operations.
Authority: Does not supervise other employees but performs under direct authority of Material Services Manager.
Education and Experience Required:
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Ability to alphabetize, to put numbers in order, to read and comprehend both written and oral instructions, and to respond appropriately is required.
- Proficiency in the application of basic clerical skills and the ability to process information effectively using a computer required.
- Practical library experience or post-secondary education is highly desirable but is not required.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail is required.
- Demonstrates clear and concise communication skills, as well as effective oral and written presentation skills, is required.
- Demonstrates positive support/service attitude to effectively meet, communicate with, and serve the public and staff is required. Pleasant and courteous telephone response is required.
- Practical experience with electronic information technology, as well as strong computer and Internet skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel and Outlook is required.
- Ability to stand, walk, or sit for extended periods of time. Physical strength and dexterity are required to handle items and boxes up to 35 pounds in weight, and to transport loaded book carts; physical ability to reach items on high and low shelves is also required.