Wells County Public Library records are available to anyone by request. All requests need to be made to the director during the administrative hours. Requests for materials on weekends or at night will be deferred until the following business day. The requestor may inspect and copy the public records and is responsible for copying costs.
The following public records are specifically excluded from disclosure to the public, as provided for by law under IC 5-14-3, and will not be open for inspection by members of the public at any time:
- Personnel files of library employees and employee applicants with the following exceptions:
- The name, compensation, job title, business address, business telephone number, job descriptions, education and training background, previous work experience, dates of first and last employment of present or former officers or employees of the library.
- Information relating to the status of any formal charges against an employee.
- Information regarding disciplinary actions in which final action has been taken and which resulted in the employee being disciplined or discharged.
- All personnel information is available to the affected employee or their appointed representative. General personnel information on all employees or groups of unnamed employees may be disclosed.
- Any administrative or technical information which could jeopardize a record-keeping or security system.
- Computer programs, codes, filing systems, and other software owned by the library or entrusted to it.
- Records prepared specifically for discussion, or created during discussion at any legally called executive session.
- The identity of a donor of a gift made to the library if the donor requires nondisclosure of their identity as a condition of making the gift.
- Any library records which can be used to identify any library patron.
Any information the library maintains on patrons and their use of library materials is deemed private and confidential. The records of minors may be made available to their parents or guardians. The library shall not disclose patron information except under the following conditions
- Upon written consent of the user or with proof of guardianship for a minor.
- Pursuant to subpoena, court order, or where otherwise required by law IC 5-14-3-4(b)(16) and the USA Patriot Acts.