The library is equipped with a basic first aid kit containing items such as bandages, gauze, and antibiotic ointments. There is a first aid kit located in each department.
Each building is equipped with an automated external defibrillator (AED) and related supplies. The AED is located at Bluffton in the foyer and upstairs at the Adult Services desk and at Ossian. Supplies (face masks, pads, gloves) need to be ordered by the Administrative Assistant after an item is used or when items expire. AED supplies have a life span of 3 years and will be replaced every 3 years.
In the event of a medical emergency:
- Provide any first aid assistance that you are capable of/qualified to provide.
- Otherwise, do not attempt to treat the injured. This includes giving aspirin or other medication(s).
- Exception: CPR-certified staff will perform CPR when indicated, and must continue until emergency personnel arrive.
- Call 911
- Provide the 911 dispatcher with any information that he/she requests.
- Follow the dispatcher’s directions.
- Do not hang up until directed to do so by the dispatcher.
When in doubt about the nature and/or severity of a medical problem, staff should call 911 immediately.
Staff should clear the area around the injured person(s), keeping onlookers away, and maintaining a clear entrance to the building for emergency personnel.
If needed, or if advised by emergency personnel, staff will evacuate and/or close the library to the public until the medical emergency is resolved.