Throughout the months of September and October, the Wells County Public Library encourages area residents to read and discuss the same book during the One Book One County community read program. This year there are not one, but two books that have a similar theme: “A Walk in the Woods” by Bill Bryson and a kid’s title that’s perfect for ages 10 “Navigating Early” by Clare Vanderpool.
Both books feature a nature theme and specifically highlight the Appalachian Trail. “A Walk in the Wood” is a comical tale of Bryson hiking the 2100-mile Appalachian Trail as a novice outdoorsman. “Navigating Early” is a fiction book for young readers that’s still enjoyable for all ages. It follows Jack and Early’s adventures on the Appalachian Trail as they search for a great black bear. Stop by the Main Library in Bluffton, the Ossian Branch, or online at www.wellscolibrary.org to check out a copy of the books today.
You are welcome to sign up and join us for a book discussion as well.
“A Walk in the Woods” Book Discussions:
- Monday, Oct. 9 from 1:30-2:30 p.m. at the Main Library
- Thursday, Oct. 12 from 1:30-2:30 p.m. at the Ossian Branch
- Thursday, Oct. 12 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at the Main Library
“Navigating Early” Book Discussion:
- Tuesday, Oct. 10 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at the Main Library for grades 5-6
Even if you don’t check out the books, you are invited to join us for several nature-themed events:
- Outdoor Pursuits: Saturday, Sept. 9 from 1:30-2:30 p.m. – Mark Durham will give tips and tricks for surviving the outdoors for all ages. Meet at the Quonset building at the 4-H Park.
- Taxidermy Program: Tuesday, Sept. 12 from 7-8 p.m. – Robert Taylor will present a family-friendly program on the art of taxidermy at the Ossian Branch library.
- Guided Hikes: Saturday, Oct. 7 from 2-3 p.m. – Indiana naturalist, Dr. Jordan Marshall, will give a guided hike through Ouabache State Park.
- Local Author Night: Tuesday, Oct. 17 from 6-8 p.m. – more than 20 local authors all in one location. Keynote talk at 7 pm and visit booths throughout the event to meet authors and enjoy book-related activities for all ages at the Main Library.
- Hiking the Appalachian Trail Speakers: Monday, Oct. 23 from 6:30-8:00 p.m. – Roger and Judy Summers and Jill Buskirk will all speak about their experiences hiking the Appalachian Trail.
Registration required for the events. Please sign-up at the library, call 260-824-1612, or on the Library Events Calendar.
Get more information on the One Book One County page.