Location: On State Road 303 / County Road 300 W, ½ mile south of Zanesville in Union Township, Wells County, Indiana.
The original introduction states “This is probably the oldest cemetery in the county. The first person to be buried here was Elijah Sink in 1806. Other early dates in this cemetery are1808, 1814, 1815, 1820, 1821, 1824, 1828 and 1838. This data was compiled by Mr. and Mrs. Harold Waters, Wayne Waters and Greg Waters.”
The Evening News-Banner centennial edition states “ Union township was the last township to be organized…not open for settlement until 1846, having been a part of the Miami Indian Reservation…first settlers…William Rosseau, James Edmundson, Joseph Rich, Milton Davis, Jacob DeWitt, John Wandel, Joseph Davis and E. Bagley.”
C. Brubaker walked this cemetery in 1999.
G. Roebuck let us copy the cemetery books in July 1999. That information was incorporated into this revised index.
Minnie Kinnerk was a caretaker for the Waynedale Cemetery. She kept information on several cemeteries in northern Wells County. Her records were also incorporated into this index.
The following funeral home records were cross-referenced to supplement and verify information.
- Brown Funeral Home – Warren
- Elzey-Dickey Haggard Funeral Home – Ossian
- Jahn Funeral Home – Bluffton
- McBride Funeral Home – Bluffton
- Thoma/Rich Funeral Home – Bluffton – partial
- Walker Funeral Home – Montpelier
- Warfield Funeral Home – Montpelier
Goodwin Memorial Chapel will be incorporated in the next update.