The Wells County Public Library serves our community as an information agency and independent learning center. It is within this context that we offer access to the Internet.
A. Internet Use is available to the following
1. Adult library cardholders (ages 18 and older) who have read and acknowledged the Internet policy.
2. Young Adult cardholders (ages 12-17) who have a signed parental permission witnessed by a staff member.
3. Children (under age 12) under constant supervision of a parent or legal guardian who has Internet privileges.
4. Out-of-county patrons who have identification proving they are 18 or over and have proof of address. A guest pass and PIN will be issued for that session.
B. Rules for Internet Use
1. All users must have their library card.
In order to insure patron privacy, it is the responsibility of the cardholder to have their card and PIN in order to log on to the Internet computers. Proper identification must be provided to the reference staff to obtain their PIN.
2. Use is on a first come, first serve basis.
Patrons are usually limited to 30 minutes unless no one else is waiting. There is to be only one person per computer. Exceptions must be approved by the reference staff.
3. The Internet computers are filtered.
The library’s Internet connection is filtered to screen or block particular sites generally considered inappropriate in a family friendly setting. Since filter software is not infallible and may not be capable of blocking everything that is inappropriate for public view, it is still the patron’s responsibility to make appropriate choices when accessing sites. As with other library materials, it is up to the parents, not the library, to provide guidance and supervision when it comes to their children’s use of the Internet. The library staff will authorize a filter override for adults, age 18 and older, wishing to access acceptable blocked sites.
4. Computers will be used for educational, informational, and recreational purposes only, not for unauthorized, illegal, or unethical purposes. Patrons may not send, receive or display text or graphics that may reasonably be construed as obscene, explicit, excessively violent, pornographic or inappropriate for family viewing.
5. Effort is made to keep the Internet computers updated and current.
However, the library cannot guarantee immediate compatibility with all functionality on every website. The library cannot be responsible for other website failures and not everything posted on the web can be copied and printed.
6. Misuse of the library computer or Internet access will be determined by the library staff and will result in loss of Internet privileges.
7. Patrons’ use of the public Internet stations should not be considered private.
The computers are in public view and search history may be available to subsequent users and staff. Sites accessed during an authorized override of the filter are reported to the library.
8. The library itself does not provide electronic mail (e-mail) service.
Patrons may access e-mail through e-mail providers such as Yahoo, Hotmail, gmail, and other similar services.
9. Uploading and downloading of files.
Patrons may upload and download files to and from flash drives to the extent that the patron’s knowledge and our secure system will allow. The library is not responsible for information lost in this process.
10. The patron is responsible for all pages printed.
Printing Internet pages is unreliable and unpredictable. The result may not be as the patron expects. The library is not responsible for patron mistakes. To minimize costs for the patron and the library, patrons are encouraged to cut and paste Internet information into a word document for organizing before printing. Regular resident and paid cardholders receive a 50¢ printing credit per day. Additional prints are 10¢ each (b/w) and 50¢ each (color). Guest and out-of-county users receive no free prints.
C. Wireless Access
1. The Wells County Public Library also provides wireless access to the Internet.
2. Patrons must provide their own portable wireless device or check out one of the library’s portable wireless devices to connect to the public wireless Internet. Technical support will not be available to patrons.
3. Patrons of the wireless access are subject to the terms of this policy.
4. The library is not responsible for any information that is compromised, or for any damages caused to the patron’s hardware or software due to electrical surges, security issues, or consequences caused by viruses or hacking.
5. If providing one’s own device, a library card is not needed to use the wireless network.
6. Printing is available. The same rules and fees apply as above. If the patron does not have a library card, the patron must obtain a guest account from the reference desk to print.
The Internet is an electronic highway connecting thousands of computers all over the world and millions of individual subscribers. With international access comes the availability of materials that would not generally be acceptable in a public library. It is technically impossible to prevent access to all resources that might be objectionable to some people.
Information available through the Internet is not validated by the Wells County Public Library to be accurate, authoritative, factual, or complete. The Wells County Public Library will not be responsible for any damages, losses, claims, obligations, or liabilities directly or indirectly relating to the use of the Internet. This includes loss of data, non-deliveries, improperly delivered, or service interruptions caused by negligence, error, or omission. Use of any information obtained via the Internet is at the user's own risk.
E. Library Staff Assistance
The staff cannot provide in-depth training but may be able to offer searching suggestions and answer questions when time allows.